Ytz and kl --- the Second round~

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Today was my band try-out day... I waited at the band room for soooo long before that conductor came. I and some other ppl then follow the conductor instruction, which is positioning our lips to make some squeaky sound (he called it buzzing..). Alvin (another guy joining band) ended up making some farting noises and both of us felt very giddy after awhile... I could not make that sound after many attempts. In the end, I had to stop half-way and go for my PE class.

After getting home, I sort of search on the internet to find out more about some techniques of playing woodwind and brass, as I was curious about the whole purpose of the 'farting' sound we tried to make during the band try-out. I was like, shouldn't you just blow the instrument like you do for recorder during primary school? After some net searching, I found out that I was so so wrong. Playing the woodwind and brass actually requires good 'embouchure' to play well. 'Embouchure' means position of lips and tongue: the adjustment of the lips and tongue in playing a wind instrument.


Naturally, I was shocked. It is much harder than I thought. Maybe I have been playing too much piano and got used to the concept that 'what you press on the key is what you hear on the instrument'. In other words, any slight change in your lips or tongue position will change the instrument's tone and pitch.

Well, I hope I can do better for tmr band pratice (if there is one for me..). I dun wan play brass.... I wan play oboe... :)

~tingzhe

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home